[smokeping-users] How suited is Smokeping for VoIP purposes?

Chris Wilson chris at aptivate.org
Wed Oct 26 11:34:22 CEST 2011

Hi Nik,

On Mon, 24 Oct 2011, Nik Mitev wrote:

> When I added same probe to two more hosts, jitter and delay appeared
> (3-4ms) on all hosts for the 20ms probe. Thinking that it is an issue
> where FPing handles the load badly, I added one more graph to a fourth
> host and expected an increase in jitter, but it went away completely and
> returned to the original state for all four hosts. I am able to
> reproduce that. At the same time I had a parallel probe running which
> only differed in the offset - it was completely unaffected and flat at
> all times.

I think this is a bug with FPing. Smokeping relies on fping to do the
actual pinging in the default configuration, although you can choose a
different pinger. I remember trying to debug fping to solve a different
bug and finding it trying, but if you program C or you can reproduce the
problem on the fping command line, then it's possible to report
upstream or investigate further.

> 2. Separate scaling issue follows from FPing being limited to sending
> pings at 1ms interval as its highest speed. For the purposes of VoIP,
> jitter needs to be measured on packets sent at 20ms intervals, which
> limits the number of hosts we can monitor to 20 at a particular offset
> and to 200 if we only monitor 10% of the time and split the hosts in 10
> groups. Those numbers are the theoretical maximum and are likely to
> actually be lower.

It's theoretically possible to make fping send any number of pings per 1ms
interval, although further skewing the time-distribution of pings may
exaggerate the effects of any network boundaries beyond what you'd
experience in a real call.

Also beware that if you monitor continuously at this rate, your monitoring
is going to have a major impact on network bandwidth use and thus
negatively affect call quality.

Cheers, Chris.
--
Aptivate | http://www.aptivate.org | Phone: +44 1223 760887
The Humanitarian Centre, Fenner's, Gresham Road, Cambridge CB1 2ES

with company number 04980791.