[smokeping-users] Cisco ICMP probes failed

Nik Mitev nik at mitev.eu
Thu Oct 27 16:31:17 CEST 2011

Vasya

I haven't configured those probes myself, but I think it is likely the
issue is not with smokeping but with the connection to the cisco device.
Run a tcpdump and see what you get.
As far as the smokeping config includes an address and a username for
the switch/router but no password, I assume it relies on sending the
pings from unprivileged mode. This would still require some
configuration on the switch - like 'username someuser' in privileged
mode (in you case 'username brazzilio' to match your smokeping config).

On a side note, traffic originating from a switch will be prioritised
and sent before any other (transit) traffic regardless of any QoS
settings. I tested that with pings and IP SLA probes on 3560 and 2960
switches. Obviously it will not be prioritised across the network, only
locally. Still this means you should be careful not to use a potential
bottleneck as a source for such probes.

hth
Nik