[smokeping-users] How suited is Smokeping for VoIP purposes?

G.W. Haywood ged at jubileegroup.co.uk
Fri Oct 28 12:25:42 CEST 2011

Hi Nik,

On Wed, 26 Oct 2011, Nik Mitev wrote:

> http://www.mediafire.com/imgbnc.php/7a21[snip].jpg
> http://www.mediafire.com/imgbnc.php/4483[snip].jpg

Wild guess: something to do with ARP?  I see similar things on my
wireless networks, and at one time I even hacked Smokeping to throw
away the first of every group of RTT measurements because it was
always much longer than the rest...  Compared to the graphs I normally
see on wired networks, your graphs are very 'smoky'.  Incidentally I
prefer logarithmic scales, see for example my current pressing issue:

http://www.jubileegroup.co.uk/JOS/misc/BT_upgraded_line_sucks_3.jpg

> I added a separate probe to switch1 with identical settings, but offset
> by 30% so it runs shortly afterwards without overlapping. This was flat
> at all times regardless of the changes in smokeping configuration.

Including without the first probe running?  I think you need to make
sure that what Smokeping is telling you is what's really happening.
But I also think you don't need me to tell you that. :)

> Probes - http://www.mediafire.com/file/4rxpbuk79dp3y9d/Probes
> Targets - http://www.mediafire.com/file/w6abkbt7936kxfw/Targets

Same sort of thing I do:

http://www.jubileegroup.co.uk/JOS/misc/Probes

> Is there a way to avoid/circumvent the limit.

Well presumably you can get the source for fping. :)  I'm not above
hacking code to get it to do what I want but it is better not to have
to keep your patches up to date when you upgrade things.  BTW I had
an issue with FPing probes, because the parameters accepted by fping
differ from one version to another and I had to hack Smokeping to get
it to work on one of my systems.  Can't remember which one right now
but I think it was on Debian 'Lenny'.  Something to watch out for if
you're rolling your own fping.

If you don't want to hack the code I wonder if you could for example
run a bunch of slaves on virtual hosts on the same box?

--

73,
Ged.