[smokeping-users] Smoke isnt build website stats ? :(

Jim Long smokeping at museum.rain.com
Wed Sep 7 00:19:37 CEST 2011

On Tue, Sep 06, 2011 at 10:39:05PM +0200, Ton Muller wrote:
> On 6-9-2011 22:13, Jim Long wrote:
> > SUBJECT TO CORRECTION, PLEASE:
> >
> > It is my understanding that the graphic files and html are
> > created by the smokeping daemon, which is not subject to the
> > chrooted Apache configuration, because the smokeping daemon is
> > a separate process which is configured/started/stopped
> > independently of how Apachei runs.  But as I said above, if the
> > CGI script ever requires access to anything in /var/db/smokeping
> > (or indeed, anything that is not under /var/www/...), then the
> > chroot option in Apache is going to create problems.

I'm retracting that.  Upon peeking into the smokeping.cgi file
and particularly .../smokeping/lib/Smokeping/Graphs.pm, it is
clear that the CGI is doing plenty of I/O between reading the RRD
files and writing the PNG graph files.  If the smokeping config
file and/or the RRD files are outside of your Apache chroot,
you're going to have problems on the HTTP side of things.  The
Apache logs will likely confirm this.

> > While you're checking the smokeping logs, check the Apache logs
> > also to see if the CGI script is logging anything interesting.

Jim