[smokeping-users] smokeping fping probe with high resolution / low interval possible?

Aaron Boerup saq at thesaq.net
Sun Aug 26 08:16:57 CEST 2012

Whoops, should have included those details.
Running smokeping version 2.006007
The "default" fping I'm using is 2.4b2_to $Date: 2002/01/16 00:33:42
I'm not much of a linux expert so I missed this obvious part. I did indeed have a problem with the smokeping daemon user not having sufficient privileges to go faster than 100ms. I fixed this and it does let me run a finer resolution than 100ms, though it seems to take much longer (and generating errors in the logs) than running the command manually. Its only able to do about 10-11 pings a second.
I've also downloaded fping 3.3 from www.fping.org but I can't seem to make this binary work for my smokeping. Not sure what it doesn't like, I've compared the output from the commands smokeping is sending and it looks identical other than access times. Running Ubuntu Server 12.04

For speed comparison

Fping 2.4b2
fping -c 3000 -i 1 -p 1 -q -s <hostname> yields me about 72 pings/second

Fping 3.3
fping -c 3000 -i 1 -p 1 -q -s <hostname> yields me about 860 pings/second