[smokeping-users] How can I configure smokeping cluster?

Darren Murphy darren at victoriajd.com
Tue Dec 18 08:38:32 CET 2012

Hi there..

On 18 December 2012 00:08, chenlin rao <rao.chenlin at gmail.com> wrote:
> I have some servers(CentOS/Debian) to configure as smokeping cluster.
> The fping path is different between CentOS and Debian.I try to write "fping"
> instead of "/usr/[s]bin/ping". But the master `smokeping --restart` told me
> error though I found the slaves can recieve "fping" and work fine!?

You can set the fping path for each slave in your config.
For example, you might have something like:

*** Slaves ***

+slave1
display_name=...
++override
Probes.FPing.binary = /usr/bin/fping

See http://oss.oetiker.ch/smokeping/doc/smokeping_master_slave.en.html

> And I want master to run only as a web server, all probe runs at slaves. But
> seems web page cannot found cache/rrds without the smokeping process?

If I understand this question correctly, then I think you are looking
for the 'nomasterpoll' option.

See http://oss.oetiker.ch/smokeping/doc/smokeping_config.en.html
(search the page for 'nomasterpoll')

> Last question, and the most important: there are 5 slaves but only 1 slave
> lines can be found in rrd.png though I found all ip in apache access.log.How
> to debug ...

The most common problem here is that the user your webserver runs as
does not have permission to update the RRD files.
So you should check the ownership and permission of these files.

hope this helps,
Darren