[smokeping-users] png label text corruption

steve johnston steve.r.johnston at gmail.com
Thu Dec 27 04:27:41 CET 2012

Tobi, Thanks much! Guess I need to take a look at your wish list..

I did a little research based on your clue and came to suspect that my
pango install(s) was/were the must likely suspect(s).

I had had a lot of trouble installing it last night, as I was trying to
make a local user install. Really I needed to do it as root.

It turns out there were two pangos on the system -- or one pango some of
was in /usr/local/lib and some in the $INSTALL dir.. RRDtool hAD  finally
built after much complaining to which the above pango situation was the
solution at the time...I learned something about pkg-config --list-all
along the way...

Don't much know or care why at this point that fontcfg (which uses pango)
was confused and couldn't find the fonts it needed for the png labels.

But it was confused, apparently, because after I removed pango and rrdtool,
re-installed pango as root, (but used the $INSTALL directory), re-installed
 RRDtool as the local user (which was a breeze this time), and re-installed
Smokeping, I now have fantastic looking monospaced font labels on my graphs!
(And it only took me about 12 hours ;-)

Steve

On Wed, Dec 26, 2012 at 2:37 PM, Tobi Oetiker <tobi at oetiker.ch> wrote:

> the problem is, that fontconfig can not find a monospaced font on your
> system, or that you gave rrdtool explicit instructions to use a nonexisting
> font.
>
> Tobias Oetiker
> tobi at oetiker.ch
> 062 775 9902
>
> On 26.12.2012, at 18:51, steve johnston <steve.r.johnston at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> > Hello,
> >
> > Smokeping produces normal graphs, but the png label text is corrupted.
>  The png is encoded with a black sqaure in each character position, rather
> than the character itself. For example, to the left of the graph, where the
> label should read "Seconds", I see a column of 7 squares.  Below the graph,
> instead 12:00, there are 5 horizontal squares.  This is true for all the
> text characters in the png.  The other html text is fine.
> >
> > Any help is appreciated!
> >
> > I am running:
> >
> > rhel 5.8
> > smokeping-2.6.8