[smokeping-users] master_slave problems

Darren Murphy darren at victoriajd.com
Tue Jan 24 05:53:40 CET 2012

Hi Tobias,

A couple of comments.

Firstly, the slave needs no config file.
>From http://oss.oetiker.ch/smokeping/doc/smokeping_master_slave.en.html :

"A smokeping slave setup has no configuration file. It just needs to
know that it runs in slave-mode and its secret. The secret is stored
in a file for optimal protection."

So all you need is a single file containing the master password, and
this file should be referenced in your slave startup script, using the
--shared-secret option.

Secondly, from looking at your master config, it doesn't appear that
you reference the slave at all in your targets section. You should
have something that looks like (for example),

        ++ some-host
        menu = some-host
        host = x.x.x.x
        slaves = your-slave

My suggestions would be as follows:

1. Carefully follow the instructions given at the URL above
2. Check your smokeping log, particularly on the slave. Observe what
is logged after you start the slave - this will most likely give you a
good idea what's wrong.

regards,
Darren