[smokeping-users] Smokeping dependency problem

Jim Long smokeping at museum.rain.com
Sat Jul 7 07:47:42 CEST 2012

On Fri, Jul 06, 2012 at 11:38:46PM +0000, Vinny_Abello at Dell.com wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm having trouble upgrading Smokeping on FreeBSD from ports. Currently I'm running Smokeping 2.4.2, specifically port smokeping-2.4.2_6 and am trying to build smokeping-2.6.7.
>
> I keep getting this error:
>
> ===>  Building for smokeping-2.6.7_3
> Making all in bin
> gmake[1]: Entering directory `/usr/ports/net-mgmt/smokeping/work/smokeping-2.6.7/bin'
> gmake[1]: Nothing to be done for `all'.
> gmake[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/ports/net-mgmt/smokeping/work/smokeping-2.6.7/bin'
> Making all in doc
> gmake[1]: Entering directory `/usr/ports/net-mgmt/smokeping/work/smokeping-2.6.7/doc'
>   GEN    Smokeping_probes_DismanPing.pod
> require Smokeping::probes::DismanPing failed: SNMP_Session version 1.13 required--this is only version 0.98 at /usr/local/lib/perl5/5.8.9/Exporter/Heavy.pm line 123.
> BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at ../lib/Smokeping/probes/DismanPing.pm line 19.
> Compilation failed in require at (eval 21) line 3.
> gmake[1]: *** [Smokeping_probes_DismanPing.pod] Error 2
> rm Smokeping_probes_DismanPing.pod
> gmake[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/ports/net-mgmt/smokeping/work/smokeping-2.6.7/doc'
> gmake: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
> *** Error code 1
>
> Stop in /usr/ports/net-mgmt/smokeping.
> *** Error code 1
>

> I'm somewhat confused as initially I noted that I did not have SNMP_Session 1.13 installed. I had an older version, so I upgraded that and now have 1.13 installed from what I can tell.
>
> [vabello at engbox] ~$ pkg_info | grep p5-SNMP
> p5-SNMP_Session-1.13 A perl5 module providing rudimentary access to SNMPv1 and v
>
> The problem is, that's still the error I'm getting above... and it's referencing Heavy.pm which I don't understand the relation. I've done this on another box and it worked perfectly fine. I'm just stuck on this particular machine and I'm sure I just need to clean something but can't figure out where I need to be looking. Any pointers?

Several shots in the dark, please pardon the obvious/ignorance:

Do you still have the installation on the other machine that went
fine?  rsync the /var/db/pkg/ tree from the good machine to
/tmp/foo-var/db/pkg/ on the bad machine and compare +CONTENTS of
the suspected problem dependencies to see if everything installed
on the good machine is in the same place as the bad machine (and
hopefully with the same md5/sha checksums).

Perl 5.8.9 is rather old, is the good machine running the same
version of Perl?

Is it possible that the uninstall of the older version of
p5-SNMP_Session was not completely successful?  Even if the new
version of p5-SNMP_Session got installed correctly, there might
be old files from the previous version installed somewhere else
that Perl is finding them.  Poke around in the Perl @INC paths or
do some strategic 'find' commands and see if there might be old
files somewhere.  Someplace there seems to be enough information
that the build can tell you that you used to have version 0.98
installed.  That's a highly unlikely number to 'guess' correctly,
so it must be coming from some file somewhere.

If necessary (and if practical), install p5-SNMP_Session-0.98 on
a spare machine or jail somewhere and see what it installs, then
check your bad machine for the presence of any of those files.
You may want to uninstall (pkg_delete -f) p5-SNMP_Session
entirely first, then check carefully for any old cruft lying
about anywhere from previous versions of p5-SNMP_Session.
Finally, re-install 1.13 once you're fully satisfied that the old
version's files are gone.

More to the point on the fourth suggestion above, try to clean
out p5-SNMP_Session entirely until you manage to change the
'wrong version installed' error message to the equivalent of 'no
version installed.'  This may make you more confident that you
have a clean slate as regards the p5-SNMP_Session port.

I hope something helps!  :)

Jim