[smokeping-users] how to enforce username/password logons to access smokeping

Murray Davis murray.g.davis at gmail.com
Wed Mar 21 19:20:03 CET 2012

I am trying to set up user-based access to smokeping on a system with the
following characteristics:

2.6.32-39-generic Linux Ubuntu 10.04.1 LTS \n \l
apache2  2.2.14-5ubuntu8
smokeping  2.3.6-5

I have modified /etc/apache2/conf.d/smokeping as folllows...and restarted
apache and smokeping.

ScriptAlias /smokeping/smokeping.cgi
/usr/share/smokeping/cgi-bin/smokeping.cgi
Alias /smokeping /usr/share/smokeping/www

<Directory "/usr/share/smokeping/www">
    Options FollowSymLinks
    AllowOverride AuthConfig
    AuthType Basic
    AuthName "Password Required"
    AuthUserFile /etc/passwd
</Directory>

However, when I go to http://servername/smokeping, I am taken directly to
the smokeping home page.

I then added an .htaccess file to:

/usr/share/smokeping/cgi-bin...the location of smokeping.cgi.

/usr/share/smokeping/www, the Alias referenced
in  /etc/apache2/conf.d/smokeping.

The .htaccess file contains:

AuthType Basic
AuthName "Password Required"
AuthUserFile /etc/passwd

Even with these .htaccess files, I still am not prompted for a username and
password. I would like to specify a specific local user, but any local
username would be sufficient.

What do I need to do to get this working?