[smokeping-users] error when slave connects to the master

G.W. Haywood ged at jubileegroup.co.uk
Tue Sep 18 00:01:04 CEST 2012

Hi there,

On Mon, 17 Sep 2012, Debbie Fligor wrote:

> A few weeks ago our sysadmins patched our RHEL6 box that our
> smokeping master runs on.. Since then none of the slaves have been
> able to report.

I hate it when that happens. :(

> I get this error in our logs:
>
> [Mon Sep 17 12:54:31 2012] [error] [client xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx] FastCGI: comm with (dynamic) server "/services/netmetrics/public_html/http/smokeping/smokeping.cgi" aborted: (first read) idle timeout (30 sec)
> [Mon Sep 17 12:54:31 2012] [error] [client xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx] FastCGI: incomplete headers (0 bytes) received from server "/services/netmetrics/public_html/http/smokeping/smokeping.cgi"
>
> but when I run this on the command line, or web to it with a browser, it works fine with no errors:
>
> /services/netmetrics/public_html/http/smokeping/smokeping.cgi

Sounds like the master can connect to itself but the slaves are having
problems.  I'd sniff the network traffic with tcpdump to a file for a
while, and then run Wireshark on the file.  Something like

tcpdump -i eth0 -s 0 -Uw - 'tcp port 80' > /home/debbie/tcpdump.out.`date +"%Y%m%d%H%M%S"` &

I'd run tcpdump on both the master and a slave.  I'd hope that you
have your system clocks all in sync to within a fraction of a second
using ntpd so that you can compare the logs. :)

> ... here's the packages that they upgraded in case anyone knows of
> anything in one of those: ...

My guess is that something else has been changed too.

--

73,
Ged.