[smokeping-users] TCP Ping and packet-loss

Gregory Sloop gregs at sloop.net
Tue Apr 2 18:28:19 CEST 2013

Not exactly about smokeping, more about tcpping.

So, since TCPPing is building a TCP link [via SYN/RST] - I'd assume
that low level packet loss that might be seen in an UDP/ICMP ping
won't be present in a TCPPing, right?

Now if the loss is quite large [my guess is at least 15% or more]
you'll see some of that packet loss in the TCPPing probe too. [Though
I'd expect the level of loss to be lower since the TCP stack is
handling loss and doing re-transmits in the background.]

It's only when the packet loss rate is such that TCP can't handle the
loss internally and starts being unable to handle re-transmission
before timeout that you'd see actual loss on a TCPPing.

Do I have this right, or should I go back to huffing glue?

-Greg