[smokeping-users] New User and Trying to setup a Master/Slave topology

Trash NMICHEL trash at nmichel.fr
Thu Apr 11 09:29:44 CEST 2013

Hi and thanks for your insights :!

Here is what I did :

****** MASTER*******

root at ubuntu:/home/nml# ls -lua /etc/smokeping/
total 44
drwxr-xr-x  3 root      root      4096 Apr 11 09:05 .
drwxr-xr-x 86 root      root      4096 Apr 11 09:04 ..
-rw-r--r--  1 root      root       191 Apr 10 22:33 apache2.conf
-rw-r--r--  1 root      root      2031 Apr 10 22:36 basepage.html
-rw-r--r--  1 root      root       290 Apr 10 22:33 config
drwxr-xr-x  2 root      root      4096 Apr 11 09:12 config.d
-r--------  1 smokeping www-data    19 Apr 11 09:05 slave-secrets
-r--------  1 smokeping www-data     5 Apr 11 09:05 slavesecrets.conf
-rw-r--r--  1 root      root      1564 Apr 10 22:33 smokemail
-rw-r-----  1 smokeping smokeping   59 Apr 10 22:33 smokeping_secrets
-rw-r--r--  1 root      root      3815 Apr 10 22:33 tmail

root at ubuntu:/home/nml# cat /etc/smokeping/slavesecrets.conf
test
root at ubuntu:/home/nml# cat /etc/smokeping/slave-secrets
ubuntu:test

root at ubuntu:/home/nml# cat /etc/smokeping/config.d/Slaves
*** Slaves ***
secrets=/etc/smokeping/slave-secrets
#+boomer
#display_name=boomer
#color=0000ff

#+slave2
#display_name=another
#color=00ff00

+ubuntu
display_name=ubuntu
color=00ff00

root at ubuntu:/home/nml# cat /etc/smokeping/config.d/Targets
*** Targets ***

probe = FPing

menu = Top
title = Network Latency Grapher
remark = Welcome to the SmokePing website of xxx Company. \
         Here you will learn all about the latency of our network.

+ Local

menu = Local
title = Local Network
#parents = owner:/Test/James location:/

++ LocalMachine

menu = Local Machine
title = This host
host = localhost
#alerts = someloss

++ Site1

menu = SLAVE
title = SLAVE_TITLE
host = google.fr
slaves = ubuntu

root at ubuntu:/home/nml#

****** SLAVE*******

root at ubuntu:/etc/smokeping# cat /etc/default/smokeping
# /etc/default/smokeping: Startup configuration for smokeping(1)
#
# select master or slave mode
MODE=slave
# in master mode, the rest of the configuration is in
# /etc/smokeping/config
#
# in slave mode, uncomment and set the following variables too
# see smokeping(1)
#
# Mandatory configuration
MASTER_URL=http://172.16.119.236/cgi-bin/smokeping.cgi
SHARED_SECRET=/etc/smokeping/slavesecrets.conf
#
# Optional configuration
SLAVE_NAME=ubuntu

root at ubuntu:/etc/smokeping# ls -lus
total 32
4 -rw-r--r-- 1 root      root       191 Apr 10 22:35 apache2.conf
4 -rw-r--r-- 1 root      root      2031 Apr 10 22:37 basepage.html
4 -rw-r--r-- 1 root      root       290 Apr 10 22:35 config
4 drwxr-xr-x 2 root      root      4096 Apr 10 22:34 config.d
4 -r-------- 1 smokeping root         5 Apr 11 09:17 slavesecrets.conf
4 -rw-r--r-- 1 root      root      1564 Apr 10 22:35 smokemail
4 -rw-r----- 1 smokeping smokeping   59 Apr 10 22:35 smokeping_secrets
4 -rw-r--r-- 1 root      root      3815 Apr 10 22:35 tmail
root at ubuntu:/etc/smokeping# cat /etc/smokeping/slavesecrets.conf
test

When I restart the master, everything goes fine ...

When I restart the slave ... it can connect to the master but I get this
error :
root at ubuntu:/etc/smokeping# /etc/init.d/smokeping restart
 * Shutting down latency logger daemon smokeping
start-stop-daemon: warning: failed to kill 942: No such process
   ...done.
 * Starting latency logger daemon smokeping
WARNING: Opening secrets file /etc/smokeping/slave-secrets: Permission
denied

ERROR: we did not get config from the master. Maybe we are not configured
as a slave for any of the targets on the master ?
   ...done.

I was thinking more about a permission error but then I did this on the
MASTER:

root at ubuntu:/home/nml# chmod 777 /etc/smokeping/slave-secrets

Then the master is not working any more :

root at ubuntu:/home/nml# /etc/init.d/smokeping restart
 * Shutting down latency logger daemon smokeping
   ...done.
 * Starting latency logger daemon smokeping
ERROR: /etc/smokeping/config.d/Slaves, line 2: File
'/etc/smokeping/slave-secrets' is world-readable or writable, refusing it
   ...done.

Can someone help a Linux noob ? :P

Thanks for your help guys

Nic