[smokeping-users] NTP probe

Clinton Work clinton at scripty.com
Thu Jun 13 06:03:11 CEST 2013

I have been thinking about writing an NTP probe.   I started by looking
at the ntpdate utility, but it doesn't provide options for the query
count and timeout.   I then looked at the perl Net::NTP perl module, but
its not suitable for direct use as a smokeping probe.  The Net::NTP
module doesn't support a configuration timeout or error handling
routines.    If you just wanted to write an NTP probe to measure NTP
response time and query success, it wouldn't be too difficult.
Implementing NTP authentication and NTP server response
parsing/integrity checking would be more difficult.

Clinton.