[smokeping-users] Smokeping - Why 20 pings?

Wed Oct 9 18:28:41 CEST 2013

On Wed, Oct 9, 2013 at 10:18 AM, Hopkins, Charles G. <
charlesghopkins at gmail.com> wrote:

> I'm sure this has probably been asked before, but why was the number 20
> chosen as the number of pings to use for SmokePing?
>
> Sincerely,
>
> *Chaz*

The more data you have, the more the smoke is more relevant. Since the
smoke is essentially measuring jitter, or at least the variance between
multiple ping response times, the more that are tested and recorded the
more useful the data can be.  Plus you can set the size of the pings to
something smaller if it helps but really, if your network can't handle that
many pings then there is something else to be concerned about. If pings are
making the top of any utilization graph then I would guess that network
path isn't very highly utilized at all and there really shouldn't be
anything to worry about. Sure, oodles and oodles of pings can look
daunting, especially to a nubile network admin who just got a hold of
wireshark or netflow for the first time...