[smokeping-users] Help with PERL5LIB error

Matt Almgren almgren at gmail.com
Wed Sep 4 07:45:43 CEST 2013

I am pulling my hair out here.  I have a new CentOS6.4 install and running
into problems installing smokeping.  I'm not sure what to make of this
PERL5LIB.  I set it to /usr/bin/perl and still see problems.  Any ideas?

checking checking for gnu make availablility... /usr/bin/gmake is GNU make
checking checking for perl module 'RRDs'... Failed
checking checking for perl module 'FCGI'... Ok
checking checking for perl module 'CGI'... Ok
checking checking for perl module 'CGI::Fast'... Ok
checking checking for perl module 'Config::Grammar'... Ok
checking checking for perl module 'Digest::HMAC_MD5'... Ok
checking checking for perl module 'LWP'... Ok

** Aborting Configure ******************************

   If you know where perl can find the missing modules, set
   the PERL5LIB environment variable accordingly.

   FIRST though, make sure that 'perl' starts the perl
   binary you want to use for SmokePing.

   Now you can install local copies of the missing modules
   by running

     ./setup/build-perl-modules.sh /opt/smokeping/thirdparty

   The RRDs perl module is part of RRDtool. Either use the rrdtool
   package provided by your OS or install rrdtool from source.
   If you install from source, the RRDs module is located
   PREFIX/lib/perl

[root at sfo-admin007 smokeping-2.6.9]# yum search perl | grep rrd
perl-rrdtool.x86_64 : Perl RRDtool bindings
rrdtool-perl.x86_64 : Perl RRDtool bindings
[root at sfo-admin007 smokeping-2.6.9]# yum install perl-rrdtool.x86_64
rrdtool-perl.x86_64
Loaded plugins: fastestmirror, security
 * base: mirror.pac-12.org
 * extras: mirror.san.fastserv.com
 * rpmforge: mirror.hmc.edu
 * updates: mirrors.versaweb.com
Setting up Install Process
Package perl-rrdtool-1.4.7-1.el5.rf.x86_64 already installed and latest
version
Package rrdtool-perl-1.3.8-6.el6.x86_64 is obsoleted by
perl-rrdtool-1.4.7-1.el5.rf.x86_64 which is already installed
Nothing to do
[root at sfo-admin007 smokeping-2.6.9]#
[root at sfo-admin007 smokeping-2.6.9]# which perl
/usr/bin/perl
[root at sfo-admin007 smokeping-2.6.9]# echo $PERL5LIB