[smokeping-users] Problem finding the HTDocs file

ITheodoridis at bankofgreece.gr ITheodoridis at bankofgreece.gr
Thu Sep 26 13:11:36 CEST 2013

I think this url will help a lot too for proper mod-fcgid declarations (look at the summary to start with) http://www.fastcgi.com/mod_fastcgi/docs/mod_fastcgi.html

-----Original Message-----
From: Theodoridis Ioannis
Sent: Thursday, September 26, 2013 1:43 PM
To: will at facetofacedigital.com
Cc: smokeping-users at lists.oetiker.ch
Subject: Re: [smokeping-users] Problem finding the HTDocs file

If the url you are using ends with .fcgi, then it's all about the apache configuration.
With Rasbian you will probably have to dig into the Apache config yourself to check if the mod-fcgi is declared properly to be used (it calls certain libraries, I have done that on my own once but ever since it seems to be working fine with default install). I will check later on the pi and let you know if I can draw any conclusions from it.

If you are getting the crosshair but no zoom something maybe wrong on the basepage.html file. Check in there to see if all references for the javascript point to the correct locations.
<script src="/cropper/lib/prototype.js" type="text/javascript"></script> <script src="/cropper/lib/scriptaculous.js?load=builder,effects,dragdrop"
type="text/javascript"></script>
<script src="/cropper/cropper.js" type="text/javascript"></script> <script src="/cropper/smokeping-zoom.js"
type="text/javascript"></script>
This is what I got on my main installation (I don't use the pi for master installation, so this comes from an Open SuSE system), as you can see I got the cropper dir in the webroot directory (/srv/www/htdocs in OpenSuSE, probably in /var/www in Debian/Ubuntu like systems).

For the apache part, in Open SuSE there is a modular structure with config  files in them, most of them under /etc/apache2/conf.d . In that dir you can find the config file for mod-fcgid (mod_fcgid.conf) which contains all the necessary declarations for fcgi module.  Also in sysconfig.d directory there is the loadmodule.conf file where you need to declare the module to be loaded for example:
LoadModule fcgid_module                   /usr/lib/apache2/mod_fcgid.so

In the main config file (default-server.conf) you must have a handler declaration.
For the mod-fcgid the proposed handler from the apache documentation is something like this

<Directory /usr/local/apache/fcgi-bin/>
SetHandler fcgid-script
Options +ExecCGI
# Customize the next two directives for your requirements.
Order allow,deny
Allow from all
</Directory>
 This comes from this page:
http://httpd.apache.org/mod_fcgid/mod/mod_fcgid.html
So without being an expert on the subject, if you have defined a handler for your module and made sure it is loaded, it should work. You could check with your apache logs to see if something is going wrong. I am afraid that's as far as my knowledge will take me until now, I am happy to learn something if someone else can provide more accurate information.

The php handler is used when you call this method from php pages. I don't think it applies here (referring to Artiflo's mail) since we are not using php.

I will check where the configs are in Rasbian (if possible) and get back to you.
Ioannis