[smokeping-users] Master-Slaves config: understanding of update process

jpp at distantsmokes.com jpp at distantsmokes.com
Mon Aug 25 16:56:13 CEST 2014

Hello,

I have a Master / Slaves configuration. The config file is structured
from the Debian repository distribution with @include.
Each slave have a distinct list of targets. So their targets are also
cleanly separated in distinct files (structured by sub-dir).

My concern is change management. I read several times in this mailing
list that Slaves should update by themselves. In my configuration, it
was not the case and I had to launch a "services smokeping reload" on a
Slave to see these messages

> Sent data to Server and got new config in response.
> server has new config for me ... HUPing the parent

As a workaround, I devised a side channel of communication to cron a
service smokeping reload but that is not ideal.

By looking at Smokeping source on Github, my new opinion is that the
Smokeping master process check config by date, where it takes as a
reference the stat call on main config file (stored in $cfg->{__last} ).

A first touch on this file seemed successful to lauch the Slave config
update.

Does Tobi or somebody with deep Smokeping understanding can confirm this
update process ?

If true, am I also right to think that touching the main config will
launch an update on all Slaves ?

Cordialement / Best regards / Mit freundlichen Grüssen,

Jean-Philippe Papillon