[smokeping-users] Successful install, but no graphs. -- update

Gregory Sloop gregs at sloop.net
Tue Jan 14 22:03:34 CET 2014

[Top posting]

Here's the FAQ:

https://github.com/oetiker/SmokePing/issues/11

---
I'll cut and paste from my "usual" spiel.

Assuming the isn't a master/slave setup. [I'm not sure why you get a
graph on drill-down - that doesn't seem right, but the initial thought
matches the FAQ. See if this helps.

---
Graphs are empty!

These have two root causes:

1) Data not reaching the RRD [round robin databases]
Run smokeping in debug mode and watch what it says - you'll probably find some good reasons stuff isn't working and be able to fix it yourself.
Like this: smokeping --debug

2) Data is hitting the RRD's as confirmed by --debug. However, you still get an empty graph from the browser.

You see: the user smokeping is running as, is writing the data - that's often root or smokeping. However, the thing that's creating the graphs has to read the data - and that's whatever process your web-server is running as. That's often apache or www, httpd or www-data.

[It depends on the apache [or how your distro sets it] configuration - or whatever other web-server you're using.]

So, make sure that both the user smokeping is running as, as well as the user the web-server is running as, both have rights to the RRD's.
[If you aren't sure what apache is running at, have a look at the apache config files. For example Ubuntu 12.04 has the user in /etc/apache2/envvars - and the user is www-data.]

So, to spoon-feed you - you'll need to chown the files to something like: chown smokeping:www-data some-rrd-files*.rrd

-Greg
---

--
Gregory Sloop, Principal: Sloop Network & Computer Consulting
Voice: 503.251.0452 x82
EMail: gregs at sloop.net
http://www.sloop.net
---