[smokeping-users] Need a hand with configuration files please.

Gregory Sloop gregs at sloop.net
Thu Nov 6 19:05:02 CET 2014

1) >Okay so I was finally able to push past the other issues I was having ...
Could you tell the list what was wrong before? It may be slightly embarrassing, but could be useful for others in the same predicament.

2) How about removing the underscores. IIRC, underscores causes problems in multiple places. [i.e. "ClientsA" or "Clients-A" or "Clients.A"]

3) How about really simplifying the config and seeing what works and what doesn't.
Setting this up in a VM, for example, for testing is not that much work, and then you don't whack your production install.

4) I'm skeptical that this exact same config worked elsewhere fine. Perhaps I'm wrong, but it sounds fishy. [Not blaming you, but pointing out that I suspect something's changed, even if you don't realize it.] And if it DIDN'T, then the job is to do a compare of the one that worked and the one that doesn't. That should probably be helpful.

[And yeah, I'm a bit grumpy today, and it seems, to me at least, like you haven't done your homework, and that doesn't help my grumpiness! <grin>]

HTH

-Greg

Nope that’s not it unfortunately.

#*** Targets Stating with 'A' ***

#probe = FPing
#slaves = nysandbox

## You have to edit and uncomment all what you want below this.
# Please, refer to smokeping_config man page for more info
# The given adresses aren't real to avoid DoS.

+ ClientsStartingWithA
menu = Clients_A
title = Clients that start with 'A'
#host = Clients

ERROR: /etc/smokeping/config.d/Targets_A, line 11: unknown variable 'menu'

David Thompson
Network Services Support Technician
(O) 858.357.8794
(F) 858-225-1882
(E) dthompson at esi-estech.com
(W) www.esi-estech.com

Make sure there’s a space between the ‘+’  and ‘Clients StartingWith A’

Okay so I was finally able to push past the other issues I was having but now I’m running in this and I really don’t know what I’m doing wrong and why Smokeping is complaining as this is how the original config files were setup.

ERROR: /etc/smokeping/config.d/Targets_A, line 11: unknown variable 'menu'

Here’s a copy and paste from the Targets_A file.

#*** Targets Stating with 'A' ***

#probe = FPing
#slaves = nysandbox

## You have to edit and uncomment all what you want below this.
# Please, refer to smokeping_config man page for more info
# The given adresses aren't real to avoid DoS.

+ClientsStartingWithA
menu = Clients_A
title = Clients that start with 'A'
#host = Clients

Why in the heck is Smokeping complaining about that??? I highlighted it in red above.
(E) dthompson at esi-estech.com
(W) www.esi-estech.com[esi-estech.com]

T. Rowe Price (including T. Rowe Price Group, Inc. and its affiliates) and its associates do not provide legal or tax advice.  Any tax-related discussion contained in this e-mail, including any attachments, is not intended or written to be used, and cannot be used, for the purpose of (i) avoiding any tax penalties or (ii) promoting, marketing, or recommending to any other party any transaction or matter addressed herein.  Please consult your independent legal counsel and/or professional tax advisor regarding any legal or tax issues raised in this e-mail.

The contents of this e-mail and any attachments are intended solely for the use of the named addressee(s) and may contain confidential and/or privileged information. Any unauthorized use, copying, disclosure, or distribution of the contents of this e-mail is strictly prohibited by the sender and may be unlawful. If you are not the intended recipient, please notify the sender immediately and delete this e-mail.

--
Gregory Sloop, Principal: Sloop Network & Computer Consulting
Voice: 503.251.0452 x82
EMail: gregs at sloop.net
http://www.sloop.net
---