[smokeping-users] Multiple alerts for a target not working as expected

Malhenzie, Justin Justin.Malhenzie at ropesgray.com
Thu Sep 11 22:22:11 CEST 2014

I am having trouble with using more than one alert for a target. I am trying to use the basic “someloss” alert and another alert I created using CheckLatency called 300Latency.

With the following config only someloss will trigger if I bring the target down:

++ ShanghaiCore
menu = Shanghai Core
title = Shanghai Core Switch (10.114.0.1)
alerts = 300latency,someloss
# slaves = boomer
host = 10.114.0.1

If I switch the order the result is the same:

++ ShanghaiCore
menu = Shanghai Core
title = Shanghai Core Switch (10.114.0.1)
alerts = someloss,300latency
# slaves = boomer
host = 10.114.0.1

With both of the above configurations “someloss” will alert, but 300 latency will not.

If I only use 300latency the alert works fine:

++ ShanghaiCore
menu = Shanghai Core
title = Shanghai Core Switch (10.114.0.1)
alerts = 300latency
# slaves = boomer
host = 10.114.0.1

Here are my alerts for reference:

+someloss
type = loss
# in percent
pattern = >0%,*12*,>0%,*12*,>0%
comment = loss 3 times in a row

+300latency
type = matcher
pattern = CheckLatency(l=>289,x=>1)
comment = Alert on latency

I set the alert for 300 latency to be low so that it would trigger for my target which is always at around 300ms. Any help would be appreciated. I am on smokeping 2.6.9.

Thanks,

Justin L. Malhenzie
Network Infrastructure Engineer
ROPES & GRAY LLP
T +1 617 854 2524 | F +1 617 235 0436
Prudential Tower, 800 Boylston Street
Boston, MA 02199-3600
Justin.Malhenzie at ropesgray.com<mailto:Justin.Malhenzie at ropesgray.com>
www.ropesgray.com<http://www.ropesgray.com>

This message (including attachments) is privileged and confidential. If you are not the intended recipient, please delete it without further distribution and reply to the sender that you have received the message in error.