[smokeping-users] Master-Slave: Magic number checking on storable file failed

Olivier oza.4h07 at gmail.com
Tue Dec 29 14:57:18 CET 2015

I've got currently 4 slaves sending data to a single master.
On this master, data is stored in /var/lib/smokeping.
A /var/lib/smokeping/ __sortercache subdir exists with one file per probe

I added a slave changing a line from "slaves=foo" to "slaves=foo bar" in
/etc/smokeping/config.d/Targets
and then changing ownership of files in /var/lib/smokeping.

Now files for new bar slave have the same properties than its sibling foo
slave files.
I also removed each *.storable file in /var/lib/smokeping/ __sortercache

Still, smokeping refuses to start on my Raspi slave with the same old :
Magic number checking on storable file failed at
/usr/lib/arm-linux-gnueabihf/perl/5.20/Storable.pm line 381, at
/usr/share/perl5/Smokeping/Slave.pm line 70.

My master and slave do not have the same architecture (one  is x86_64, the
other is armv7l).
Could it be a root cause ?