[smokeping-users] Master-Slave: Magic number checking on storable file failed

Fligor, Debbie fligor at illinois.edu
Wed Dec 30 17:48:21 CET 2015

> On Dec 29, 2015, at 7:57, Olivier <oza.4h07 at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> I've got currently 4 slaves sending data to a single master.
> On this master, data is stored in /var/lib/smokeping.
> A /var/lib/smokeping/ __sortercache subdir exists with one file per probe

I was talking about the local data file cached on the slave, not the file it makes on the master.  It’s the local perl module on the slave that is having the problem when it launches.

> I added a slave changing a line from "slaves=foo" to "slaves=foo bar" in /etc/smokeping/config.d/Targets
> and then changing ownership of files in /var/lib/smokeping.
>
> Now files for new bar slave have the same properties than its sibling foo slave files.
> I also removed each *.storable file in /var/lib/smokeping/ __sortercache
>
> Still, smokeping refuses to start on my Raspi slave with the same old :
> Magic number checking on storable file failed at /usr/lib/arm-linux-gnueabihf/perl/5.20/Storable.pm line 381, at /usr/share/perl5/Smokeping/Slave.pm line 70.
>
> My master and slave do not have the same architecture (one  is x86_64, the other is armv7l).
> Could it be a root cause ?

Sorry, that’s beyond my knowledge of how the code works (I’m not a programmer).  If finding the local cache file on the slave and removing that doesn’t help, you’ll likely have to wait for more people reading this listserv to be back from their holiday breaks.

-debbie