[smokeping-users] Graph images don't display text correctly (font problem?)

Jim Long smokeping at museum.rain.com
Mon Jun 1 23:48:21 CEST 2015

I am migrating a Smokeping installation from 2.4.2 on FreeBSD 8.4 to
2.6.11 on FreeBSD 9.3, and also moving to new server hardware,
keeping the old server in production mode until the migration is
complete and ready to cut over.

At this phase, I am seeking to test only the new server's web
interface to the RRD data graphs.  I'm using rrdtool dump/restore to
copy the RRD data onto the new server.

A sample graph is attached.  As you can see, any attempt to render
text within the graphic fails.  I am unsure where to look for this
fault, and how or where to obtain helpful diagnostic clues.

The one clue I can find in my Apache error log is:

[Mon Jun 01 14:42:29 2015] [error] [client 10.5.246.181] (process:59559): Pango-WARNING **: Cannot open "/usr/local/lib/pango/1.6.0/modules/pango-basic-fc.so"

I am not sure why the '1.6.0' string appears in that path, because
the file referenced exists on the server as

/usr/local/lib/pango/1.8.0/modules/pango-basic-fc.so

'ldd $(which rrdtool)' does not show any broken library dependencies.

I have rebuilt / reinstalled both rrdtool-1.4.8_7 and pango-1.36.8_1
but this problem remains.

Any pointers on where to look next would be appreciated.  I am happy
to provide additional information on request.

Regards,

Jim