[smokeping-users] New module - continuous ping

swilton at fluentit.com.au swilton at fluentit.com.au
Tue Nov 24 08:25:08 CET 2015

Hi,

I have just finished work on a new module for running continuous pings.  At a minimum, it works on Debian 8 systems with the iputils-ping package installed, although any version of ping that supports the "-O" flag to report outstanding pings should work. It also requires IO::Epoll (Debian package libio-epoll-perl), and forks off a ping process for each target, so it will result in one ping process running continuously per target.

It works by keeping a record of pings on a per-target basis based on the output of the ping processes, and then returning the recorded data when smokeping polls for the data.  I have seen some requests for similar functionality in past posts, so I thought I would share this.

It will likely need adjusting to work with other version of ping.

Steven