[smokeping-users] SmokePing with FPing 3.3 on Centos 7

Russell Mellon mellonr at hobart.k12.in.us
Thu Jun 2 19:19:25 CEST 2016

I've just set up an new smokeping machine on a Centos 7 VM and am using fping 3.3 with it.  I know that fping switched to stdout and I've added the usestdout = true

But smokeping is registering complete loss on my devices.  For testing purposes I put two devices to monitor, one that exists (DChubMDF-01) and one that doesn't (SCoffDOITs-02).    So I'm leaning towards this being a loss of communication between smokeping and fping.  I just can't figure out why.

Here's an excerpt from my smokeping config:
+FPing
binary = /usr/local/sbin/fping
blazemode = true
usestdout = true
*** Targets ***

# The hosts are located in two sites of two hosts each, and the
# configuration has been divided to site sections ('+') and host subsections
# ('++') accordingly.

probe = FPing

menu = Top
title = Network Latency Grapher
remark = Welcome to this SmokePing website.

+ DC
menu = DC
title = District DataCenter (HS)

++ DChubMDF-01
host = a.b.c.d (IP address removed from email)
alerts = bigloss,someloss
++ SCoffDOITs-02
host = a.b.c.d (IP address removed from email)
alerts = bigloss,someloss

Russell Mellon
Director of I.T. Services
CCENT/CCNA Instructor