[smokeping-users] Automatically download fresh .png snapshot.

Gregory Sloop gregs at sloop.net
Wed Mar 23 20:17:32 CET 2016

I doubt you're going to get better than that thread.

I've never had need to do that - but it would certainly be interesting if, once you've figured it out, if you'd return your findings to the list. I can certainly see myself [and others] needing such an option at some point.

Someone a while back [years ago] gave a script to do an MTR and I tweaked that some to grab MTR's and email them when certain conditions occur. [It's pretty valuable when you want to beat up, Comcast, for example for having a terrible path. The ISP can't wiggle, claiming the loss is occurring somewhere outside their control when you drop the MTR on them showing the losses are occurring in their network.] Anyway - having someone put that back into the mix was really helpful, saving me quite a lot of time having to re-create their work.

So, if you'd do the same on your graphing issue, that would save someone the trial-and-error you're suffering.

-Greg

Thanks Greg,

I’ve read that thread, and have been experimenting with rrdgraph.  The problem I've run into is figuring out the correct options, data definitions, calc data, and graphic elements needed to generate the standard smokeping graph.  I think that would work if I could sort all that out.  I got as much as I could from other rrd examples and combing through the Graph.pm module in Smokeping, but no joy yet.

If anybody has an example of the actual smokeping rrdgraph options and args, that would really help.

— Daniel Crandall
Savant - DevOps