[smokeping-users] Curl probe that checks if string in page exists.

Nicola Ferrari (#554252) nicolafrr at yahoo.it
Fri Sep 16 18:49:14 CEST 2016

Hi everybody.

In our company we run a service provided by an external company on a
website.

Just for testing purposes, I would like to check the status of that
service by checking if the index page's body contains the "service
unavailable" string (which is usually displayed when the service is down).

Using curl in shell environment, I achieve this by issuing this command:
if  curl --silent https://www.example.com|grep -q "Service is down";
then echo "NO"; else echo "YES"; fi

I would like to turn this into a Smokeping probe..
I've just token a look at the docs, and found this:
http://oss.oetiker.ch/smokeping/probe/Curl.en.html

Is this the best way to do that?
Any suggestion/example about the probe's config?
Shoud I use regexp?

Thanks!
Nick