[smokeping-users] Smokeping stop generate graph on Debian Stretch - Fping exited unexpectedly with status 256

Gregory Sloop gregs at sloop.net
Wed Jul 12 21:15:16 CEST 2017

Top posting because I'm lazy...

While I really have no history with this particular issue, I did some Googling with the "error" kicked just before your process dies;
"Wide character in syswrite at /usr/share/perl/5.24/Net/Cmd.pm"

Several google hits seem to indicate encoding mismatches:
https://stackoverflow.com/questions/12844458/perl-starman-unicode-wide-character-in-syswrite-at
https://bytes.com/topic/perl/answers/704634-wide-character-syswrite-usr-share-perl-5-8-net-cmd-pm-line-430-a

I suspect the names you use for descriptors may be part of the issue. [I understand almost nothing about about encoding UTF-8, Unicode etc and it's impact on perl etc.]

My guess is a little looking at that issue will yield some useful data and you can find your way to a fix.
Please post follow-up if you do find some fix to assist others.

-Greg

MK> Hello
MK> I check this what you say and not working:

MK> Jul 12 20:39:27 smokeping smokeping[108511]: Alert bigloss is active for
MK> DOM.DOM
MK> Jul 12 20:39:27 smokeping smokeping[108511]: Wide character in syswrite at
MK> /usr/share/perl/5.24/Net/Cmd.pm line 212.
MK> Jul 12 20:39:27 smokeping smokeping[108510]: Child process 108511 (probe
MK> FPing) exited unexpectedly with status 256.

MK> root at smokeping:~# ls -al /usr/bin/fping
MK> -rwsr-xr-x 1 root root 39232 sty 11 15:44 /usr/bin/fping

MK> Best Regards
MK> TaKeN

Gregory Sloop, Principal: Sloop Network & Computer Consulting
Voice: 503.251.0452 x82
EMail: gregs at sloop.net
http://www.sloop.net
---