[smokeping-users] tSmoke shows all hosts down, but none are

Kevin kevo at gatorgraphics.com
Sun Jul 30 06:30:51 CEST 2017

> Today I ran it and it's showing all hosts are down, but none are actually down and the graphs and alerts from SmokePing seem fine.
>
> Does anyone have any idea why it might be doing that. I'm not that familiar with perl or the rrd system so I'm not really sure where to start looking at this. I was hoping maybe someone has seen this before and might know what's going on.

I've run tSmoke back to back a bunch of times, and sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't.

I decided to try some tried and true debugging, print statements, and I've got some examples of what's happening, but I don't have any clue why.

When it's working I see this sort of output from the print statements.

/var/lib/smokeping/Airport/AirportAP25.rrd
0
0.00393273333333333
0.00393273333333333
Use of uninitialized value in addition (+) at /usr/sbin/tSmoke line 121.
0.00393273333333333

When it's not working I see this

/var/lib/smokeping/Airport/AirportAP25.rrd
0
Use of uninitialized value in addition (+) at /usr/sbin/tSmoke line 121.
0
0
Use of uninitialized value in addition (+) at /usr/sbin/tSmoke line 121.
0

So sometimes it gets data and sometimes it doesn't.

I added the print statements in the loop inside the morning update function which is what I'm using to get the status email.

die "ERROR while reading $_: $ERR\n" if $ERR;
                print "$target\n";
                foreach my $line (@$data) {
                        print "$Loss\n";
                        $Loss += $$line[3];