[smokeping-users] Echoping dns module segfaults on Debian Stretch and Buster [was: Echoping segfaults on Debian Stretch]

Olivier oza.4h07 at gmail.com
Thu Sep 6 12:51:51 CEST 2018

Hello,

On a Debian Stretch master, the following command always segfaults:

As root:
# /usr/bin/echoping -t 5 -m dns -n 5 80.10.246.136 -t A www.google.com
segfault

# ls -l /usr/lib/echoping/
total 116
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 41208 janv. 10  2017 dns.a
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root    12 janv. 10  2017 dns.so -> dns.so.0.0.0
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root    12 janv. 10  2017 dns.so.0 -> dns.so.0.0.0
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 10672 janv. 10  2017 dns.so.0.0.0

The very same command works OK on Debian Jessie setup.

# /usr/bin/echoping -t 5 -m foobar -n 5 80.10.246.136 -t A www.google.com
Cannot load "foobar.so" (I tried the short name, then the complete name in
"/usr/lib/echoping"): /usr/lib/echoping/foobar.so: cannot open shared
object file: No such file or directory (No such file or directory)

My understanding is /usr/lib/echoping/dns.so file is found by
/usr/bin/echoping but its content is not compliant with current
/usr/bin/echoping.

The very same test also fails on Buster.
For memory, Smokeping has the following versions [1]:
2.6.9              Jessie
2.6.11            Stretch
2.7.2              Buster

1. Has someone successfully used dns module on either Stretch or Buster ?
2. Shall I create a ticket on Debian or Smokeping ?
3. Suggestions ?

Regards

[1]