[smokeping-users] Host down / cleared repeatedly

Michael Grant mgrant at grant.org
Tue Oct 29 12:48:32 CET 2019

I have smokeping set up to fping a router.  When the line is up, it works as expected.  However, when the line is down, I get repeatedly messages that the line is down, then cleared, then down, then cleared.

I run fping from the command line and it clearly shows the line is down:

/usr/bin/fping -C 20 -q -B1 -r1 -4 -i10 1.2.3.4

And this is the command which smokeping runs every 5 minutes.

I added ‘edgetrigger’ to the Alert and then, I repeatedly get Cleared messages (half as many messages).

It’s as if smokeping is automatically clearing the down state (without running fping) sooner than the 5 minute before fping is run again to recheck the router.

My Probe file has:

Any idea what’s going on?