[smokeping-users] TCPPing probe doesn't generate data

David Tomic young_einstein at internode.on.net
Mon Jun 16 16:53:07 CEST 2008

G.W. Haywood wrote:

> Probably not in /var/log/messages then - that's why I put a question
> mark there.  It depends how your logging is set up.  Where does Apache
> send its 'error log' on your system?  That's where it will be.

/var/log/apache2/error.log
> It's
> confusing to have debug messages going to /var/log/messages and yet
> the other (Apache) log stuff going somewhere else, but that's the way
> things are at present.
>
> You also might want to try putting the same print statement after this
> line:
>
>     next unless ':' eq shift @times; #drop the colon

So you're saying that I should end up with:
        next unless /^\S+\s+:\s+[\d\.]/; #filter out error messages from
tcpping
        @times = split /\s+/;
        my $ip = shift @times;
    print STDERR @times;
        next unless ':' eq shift @times; #drop the colon
    print STDERR @times;

> If there isn't an element in the array that contains just a single
> colon character, it will shift everything out of it leaving it empty...

I've done all that, but I'm still not seeing anything in the apache log
file either.

Just out of curiosity, did you actually get/read my message wondering if
it was some sort of permissions problem?

https://lists.oetiker.ch/pipermail/smokeping-users/2008-June/003129.html

 FWIW I'm running Ubuntu 8.04, and just installed Smokeping through
 their software repository.  As part of that installation, it seems to
 have created a seperate 'smokeping' user + group, so could that
 possibly have something to do with the problem?

 I'm still [relatively] new to the whole Linux world, so I'm sure that
 I don't quite have my head around all these permissions/etc properly yet.

 Is there an easy way to check and/or rule out any sort of permission
 error as the source of my problem?