[mrtg-developers] Re: Monitoring Applications..

Jim Trocki trockij at transmeta.com
Mon Apr 30 01:27:17 MEST 2001

On Sun, 29 Apr 2001, JR Ponce de Leon wrote:

> I would like to monitor an application TCP port with MRTG and find if it's
> still alive, an example of that would be an www server, can somebody point
> to an configurable/reprogrammable script (perl is preferrable) which can
> connect to the application port, pass some request and get the return? So I
> can decide if the application is running properly and return the values to
> mrtg.

rrdmon likely does what you're asking for. It was written by Gilles
Lamiral, doesn't use MRTG, but does use Tobi's rrdtool:

ftp://ftp.linux-france.org/pub/prj/minotaure/

NAME
    rrdmon - generate rrd bases from a remote mon server

OVERVIEW
    RRDMON is a tool to graph the service statuses reported by MON, using
    RRDTOOL. rrdmon collects the data by the network, creates or updates the
    rrd bases and generates dynamic, good and meaningful graphical web
    pages.

Jim Trocki <trockij at transmeta.com>
Computer System and Network Engineer
Transmeta Corporation