[mrtg-developers] Re: Patch for mrtg-2.10.pre5 ?

Tobias Oetiker oetiker at ee.ethz.ch
Tue Jul 8 19:05:25 MEST 2003

> So, if I understand correctly, what you are doing is changing the
> "ipv4only" flag's name to "query_only_ipv4" and setting it to the same
> value for all targets.
>
> This means that if you have even just one router that doesn't support
> SNMP over IPv6 (e.g. a Cisco router), then you can't use IPv6 for any
> router, because you have to turn on query_only_ipv4 off (by manually
> editing the code (!) in SNMP_Session.pm).

This does not sound very plesant.

>From a support point of view, mrtg should behave as resilient as
possible. If a user wants ipv6 support he should get it, but I
guess at least today it must be his decision as there may be
devices that work on v6 but the user wants to access them via v4
for one reason or the other ...

And at least for now I think it is prudent to assume most people
will be using v4 still with the odd v6 device.

I am not living in a v6 environemnt yet, so the pains of transition
are only imaginary for me ...

cheers
tobi

--