[mrtg-developers] Re: Patch for mrtg-2.10.pre5 ?

Rafael Martinez Torres rafael.martinez at novagnet.com
Wed Jul 9 15:58:10 MEST 2003

On Tue, 8 Jul 2003, Tobias Oetiker wrote:

> > So, if I understand correctly, what you are doing is changing the
> > "ipv4only" flag's name to "query_only_ipv4" and setting it to the same
> > value for all targets.
> >
> > This means that if you have even just one router that doesn't support
> > SNMP over IPv6 (e.g. a Cisco router), then you can't use IPv6 for any
> > router, because you have to turn on query_only_ipv4 off (by manually
> > editing the code (!) in SNMP_Session.pm).
>
> This does not sound very plesant.

Does it sound pleasant a hardware-router processing IPv6 and not
supporting SNMP v6 ?
It may be a transient failure, but it's expected to support it. Hitachi
did
not support it before , now it does. Maybe Cisco...

MRTG should not to pay for that in terms of complexity...

> >From a support point of view, mrtg should behave as resilient as
> possible. If a user wants ipv6 support he should get it, but I
> guess at least today it must be his decision as there may be
> devices that work on v6 but the user wants to access them via v4
> for one reason or the other ...
>
> And at least for now I think it is prudent to assume most people
> will be using v4 still with the odd v6 device.

In every case, you could always ask for the dotted address...

OK. Just a proposal to make it better.
Thank you :-)