[mrtg-developers] Re: URGENT !!! INET6-1.28 and Socket6-0.12

Lorenzo Colitti lorenzo at colitti.com
Tue Jul 29 12:30:53 MEST 2003

Rafael Martinez Torres wrote:
>>thanks ... docs are updated, will be in the next pre ...
>
> Shouldn't we wait for approbal on any more people, like Valerio and
> Lorenzo ? and uploading Socket6-0.12 and INET6 into www.cpan.org ?
>
> I just want to avoid the faulty software ... ( I think this time there is
> no problem ...)

Well, considering that the newest versions of MRTG and INET6 don't work
at all together, you might as well release INET6 1.28 and Socket6 0.12
and tell users to use the latest version of everything.

But, getipnodebyname and getipnodebyaddr are *deprecated*. They are not
part of the IPv6 API any more. RFC 3493 (which obsoletes RFC 2553, which
defined these functions) says:

>    3. Removed all references to getipnodebyname() and getipnodebyaddr(),
>       which are deprecated in favor of getaddrinfo() and getnameinfo().

Is it a good idea to add these functions in Socket6 now that they are
deprecated? Is it a good idea for INET6 to rely on deprecated functions?

Lorenzo