[mrtg-developers] Re: IPv6 patch for MRTG: final version

Rafael Martinez Torres rafael.martinez at novagnet.com
Fri May 9 08:58:18 MEST 2003

On Tue, 6 May 2003, Lorenzo Colitti wrote:

> Hi Tobias,
> Here is the final version of our IPv6 patch for MRTG, against 2.9.29.

Congratulations ...

> This version includes fairly complete documentation (command-line help,
> configuration reference and specific IPv6 documentation in ipv6.pod) and
> has also benefited from a major rewrite that has reduced code size and
> hopefully increased readability.

That's what I was waiting for. I took a look into the mrtg-2.9.28 and I
expected a bit of increased readability....
My simple pacth was only concerned with operative iusses, not
documentation ones.
So yours is more complete !

> As with our previous patches, a version of MRTG with this patch should
> behave in exactly the same way as a non-patched version unless IPv6 is
> explicitly enabled by the user, so everyone should be able to use their
> existing scripts and configuration files with the patched version.
>
> At Simon Leinen's request, this patch does not change the "public"
> interfaces of SNMP_Session.pm any more, so other applications should not
> have problems either.
>
> The patch has been tested on various Linux distributions, including Red
> Hat 7.2 and 8.0, Mandrake 9.1, and Debian unstable, with and without
> IPv6 support (as before, IPv6 requires the Socket6 and INET6 perl
> modules; instructions are in ipv6.pod).

Another interesting contribution : your mrtg-2.9.28 was succesfully tested
on
	SuSE-8.0

against:
	-  a PC-box running net-snmp
	-  HITACHI GR2000 10-H router  ( They are SNMP IPv6 enabled !!)

You were rigth. I did not apply the "--enableipv6" flag. When applied  it
uses to run , ...

> We think this is ready for inclusion in the next version of MRTG.
> We hope you agree. :-)

OK, we will  test your new patch and installing it from
a final user's approach.  See who the program reacts when you ask for IPv6
and you have no support... things like that...

BTW, concerning design iussues, about the "IPv4only" way ( routers like
Cisco, processing IPv6, but not supporting SNMP IPv6 ).

Do you keep this iussue ? Maybe it make the code a bit more complicated
and can be avoided, in order to reduce the code again. You can always ask
for IPv6-MIB entries from IPv4, as
the old MRTG use to do.

But it's up to you. I have no deep knowledge on your code.

Congratulations again.