[mrtg-developers] Re: MRTG 2.10 (fwd)

Lorenzo Colitti lorenzo at colitti.com
Tue May 27 18:07:05 MEST 2003

Tobias Oetiker wrote:

> how about detecting if we are running on a broken system and only
> workaround if this is the case. By all means file a bug with
> debian, if you can supply a patch, even better.

This is a solution, of course, but it would involve adding workarounds
and checks to MRTG and SNMP_Session. I think that perhaps it would be
better to patch INET6.pm.

If I remember correctly, it's just a one-line patch (change an
occurrence of AF_INET to AF_INET6 and it's done). But it would be a good
idea for the Debian version of INET6 and the CPAN version to be the
same, so perhaps we had best wait until the confusion is cleared up.

> at least for debian there must be a maintainer already.

Yes, the maintainer is Masahiro Omote. He has already applied a patch
from us in the past. Maybe he is willing to upload his INET6 module to
CPAN and maintain it. If that is the case, then it's better to wait for
the bug to be fixed in the CPAN version so Debian can pick it up
automatically.

>>But we still have the problem of deciding on a version of INET6 and
>>uploading it to CPAN. Do you want to upload your version of INET6 to
>>CPAN and maintain it? Or shall I fix the bug in the Debian version?
>
> I would suggest doing that in any case.

Ok, I'll look into fixing the bug. If it's as simple as I think it is,
I'll file a bug in Debian and upload the patch.

Regards,
Lorenzo