[mrtg-developers] Getting error from MRTGwhenrunningexternalscript

Alex van den Bogaerdt alex at ergens.op.het.net
Wed Mar 19 00:18:56 CET 2008

On Tue, Mar 18, 2008 at 05:21:40PM -0500, Scott S. Heath wrote:
> Ok, I've got numbers now on the page but they aren't what I have in the
> file. I'm sure MRTG is doing some kind of math against the input but I'm
> not sure what it is.
>
> If I knew I could compensate for it in my Perl script. Is there an
> option to have it report the raw numbers?

So far I had doubt but now I know for sure: this really belongs on
the mrtg users mailing list.  A lot more people will see your question
and can help. Also make sure to search the mailing list archives.
See http://oss.oetiker.ch/mrtg/support/index.en.html

Look in the docs for gauge and absolute.
See http://oss.oetiker.ch/mrtg/doc/mrtg-reference.en.html

Also see my site.  It is about RRDtool but a lot does also apply
more or less to MRTG.  Especially read the part about rates,
normalization and consolidation.  Things may work a little bit
different in MRTG but it is mostly the same.

Last but not least:  0.99 per second is truncated to 0 in MRTG,
1.99 is truncated to 1, and so on.  So if you have just one error
in 300 seconds (5 minutes), it won't show up.

HTH
--
Alex van den Bogaerdt
http://www.vandenbogaerdt.nl/rrdtool/