[mrtg-developers] Strange behavious when using unknaszero

S Shipway s.shipway at auckland.ac.nz
Thu Oct 8 22:44:27 CEST 2009

This is a known race condition caused by the update time window when using RRDTool.  The Routers2 frontend contains some special code to avoid this problem.

Basically, if your updates occur at 12:04 and you are generating the graph at 12:01, you are in the 12:00-12:05 'bucket' but the update has not yet occurred.  Therefore, the last value in the graph is Unknown.  14all may hop back to the previous bucket when its unknown and so you get the correct value...  however with unknaszero this unknown is translated to zero, and so the Last value is displayed as zero.

There is no fix for this without updating the 14all code to check for the condition and add a backskip, as Routers2 does.

Steve