[mrtg-developers] Mathematical operations on OIDs

S Shipway s.shipway at auckland.ac.nz
Thu Oct 22 00:29:24 CEST 2009

MRTG is able to handle negative values, provided that:
a)       you are using RRDTool as your backend, not native mode, and
b)       You manually set the Minimum for the DS appropriately within the RRD file using RRDTune (MRTG always sets the minimum to 0).

Also, unless this is a gauge, you might need to use 'derive' rather than 'counter' in order to cope with negative slopes.

Steve