[mrtg] Re: Windows NT 4.0 and SNMP

Garth K. Williams garth.williams at home.com
Tue Aug 17 22:08:03 MEST 1999

Hi.  Hope you don't mind the shameless plug.

I have spent a considerable amount of time developing a web site
(http://snmp.cjb.net) to help users of NT and Netware with the
Implementation of SNMP on these NOS's.  The site also contains some pretty
good information on SNMP RFCs, provides links to MIBs and some pretty darned
good (FREE) software to help in this area.

As far as NT goes, I provide a zip file and pretty detailed instructions on
how to configure your NT environment, and include some MRTG CFG files.
Infact, I just updated the web last night, adding another statistic to the
NT SNMP "pile".

Currently, SNMP4NT.ZIP supports gathering the following statistics ...

Memory, CPU, NIC, Physical disk (need to run diskperf /y first!),Logical
Disk, Paging File, Process, Redirector, TCP, IP, UDP, NetBEUI, NetBT, NWLink
IPX, NWLink SPX, RAS Total, Server, Server Work Queues, Cache

I was sucessful in getting the Exchange MIB to compile (the version I have
(maybe there is a newer one actually conflicts with the Microsoft ORG branch
itself.  The problem is, the Exchange DLL OIDs must match the MIB OIDs, or
the GET will (potentially) ask for the wrong statistic.

I will be installing Exchange on my NT server soon and will continue work on
this.  Of course, if I am re-inventing the wheel, please... Somebody STOP
ME!

BTW, I provide access to an SNMP4NW.ZIP file that contains all you need to
gather SNMP stats from your NetWare servers (in case anyone else still uses
them (GASP!  Did I say that?)).

Any input (be gentle, please) into the modification of the SNMP4TPC web is
appreciated.

Thanks for your time!

Garth K. Williams - Systems Engineer (MCP+I, MCSE)
Williams Technology Consulting Services
Edmonton, Alberta  Canada

Web: http://www.wtcs.org     Email: mailto:garth.williams at home.com
Home of: http://snmp.cjb.net - SNMP for the Public Community