[mrtg] SNMP OID's for Redback equipment (IN MESG)

Brantley Jones bjones at centurytel.net
Fri Dec 10 21:29:42 MET 1999

I know that a lot of you (including me) have had trouble getting stats from
Redback boxes with MRTG.  This is due to the default SNMP support on a
Redback, which is weak (at least at first look anyway).  I'm including a
.txt file that tells you how to include this information.  It requires a
little extra configuration on the Redback, but once you get these commands
in place, our SMS 500 responds with just as much information as most of our
other devices...

We're doing an SNMPwalk on interfaces.ifTable.ifEntry.ifType and doing a
'grep -c ppp'.  This will show us the number of ppoe subs online, which is
what we're looking for.

If somebody has any other OID's, such as CPU, etc., please let us/me know.

Brantley

Here's the contents:

Configuring SMS for read and write access via SNMP.
Configure SNMP:

[local]RedBack(config)snmp server
[local]RedBack(config)snmp community SecretHandshake

By default this only allows the viewing of Objects under the System Group
(iso.org.dod.internet.mgmt.mib-2.system). To view all of the mib objects
supported by the SMS SNMP agent a new view needs to be created that
encompasses
the internet branch (iso.org.dod.internet). An example configuration follows:

[local]RedBack(config)snmp server
[local]RedBack(config)snmp view InternetView internet included
[local]RedBack(config)snmp community SecretRead view InternetView
[local]RedBack(config)snmp community SecretReadWrite view Internetview
read-write

Using community name SecretRead will allow read access to the MIB Objects
under
the internet branch, to perform write operations on MIB Objects the community
name SecretReadWrite must be used. All of the above commands are entered in
global configuration mode.

Obtaining traffic statistics from an I/O Port on the SMS:
Let's suppose with the following hardware configuration you wanted to poll
for ifOutOctets
(interfaces.ifTable.ifEntry.ifOutOctets) for port atm 4/0.

ENET (3/0) 2  0.1  0.1  0.1  0.1 0000 05021049811251   600-0106-01      100TX
ATOC3(4/0) 2  0.1  0.1  0.1  0.3 0000 03031069921187   600-0110-01      SM

1. Ensure that IF-MIB defined by RFC 2233 is compiled into your Network
Management
Application.
2. Query ifName: 1.3.6.1.2.1.31.1.1.1.1 OR
...mgmt.mib-2.ifMIB.ifMIBObjects.ifXTable.ifXEntry.ifName

Sample Response:
  ifMIB.ifMIBObjects.ifXTable.ifXEntry.ifName.2 = port ethernet 3/0
  ifMIB.ifMIBObjects.ifXTable.ifXEntry.ifName.3 = port atm 4/0
  ifMIB.ifMIBObjects.ifXTable.ifXEntry.ifName.4 = port atm 4/0
  ifMIB.ifMIBObjects.ifXTable.ifXEntry.ifName.5 = port atm 4/0
  ifMIB.ifMIBObjects.ifXTable.ifXEntry.ifName.6 = port atm 4/0
  ifMIB.ifMIBObjects.ifXTable.ifXEntry.ifName.7 = port atm 4/0
  ifMIB.ifMIBObjects.ifXTable.ifXEntry.ifName.8 = port atm 4/0
  ifMIB.ifMIBObjects.ifXTable.ifXEntry.ifName.9 = port atm 4/0
  ifMIB.ifMIBObjects.ifXTable.ifXEntry.ifName.10 = port atm 4/0
..

There are multiple entries for ATM Port 4/0 because it's a multilayered
interface
and the SMS provides different stats depending on the layer that is of
interest.
To find the corresponding layer ifDescr needs to be queried ie:
..
interfaces.ifTable.ifEntry.ifDescr.3 = "slot=(3/0), id_version= ...
interfaces.ifTable.ifEntry.ifDescr.4 = "SONET/SDH Path"
interfaces.ifTable.ifEntry.ifDescr.5 = "ATM layer interface"
interfaces.ifTable.ifEntry.ifDescr.6 = "AAL5 layer interface"

To obtain the ifOutOctets for port ATM 4/0 at the AAL5 Layer you need to
use ifIndex 6
snmpget 10.10.10.1 [community name]  interfaces.ifTable.ifEntry.ifOutOctets.6

sysObjId for SMS500:
iso.org.dod.internet.private.enterprise.redBackNetworks.rbnProducts.rbnSMS500
1.3.6.1.4.1.2352.1.2

What OID's do I use to obtain traffic statistics for ATM PVC's?

1: Please ensure that the "RBN-X-AAL5-VCL-STAT-MIB" MIB is compiled into
your NMS.
2: Please ensure that counters are enabled in the ATM Profile(s) that is
applied to all
PVC's that are required to be queried.

3: If you are planning to poll PVC's on a regular interval please use the
BulkStats
feature of the SMS. Bulkstats is a more flexible and less resource
intensive mechanism
to obtain PVC Statistics.

The following are the OID's for PVC Related Statistics
(obtained from RBN-X-AAL5-VCL-STAT-MIB):

Full OID for querying (snmpwalk) In Packets on all defined PVC's with
counter enabled:
iso.org.dod.internet.private.enterprises.redBackNetworks.rbnExperiment.rbnXA
al5clStatMIB.
rbnXAal5VclStatMIBObjects.rbnXAtmAal5VclStatTable.rbnXAtmAal5VVclStatEntry.r
bnatmAal5VclInPkts
1.3.6.1.4.1.2352.3.1.1.1.1.1

Full OID for querying (snmpwalk) Out Packets on all defined PVC's with
counters enabled:
iso.org.dod.internet.private.enterprises.redBackNetworks.rbnExperiment.rbnXA
al5clStatMIB.
rbnXAal5VclStatMIBObjects.rbnXAtmAal5VclStatTable.rbnXAtmAal5VVclStatEntry.r
bnXAtmAal5VclOutPkts
1.3.6.1.4.1.2352.3.1.1.1.1.2

Full OID for querying (snmpwalk) In Octets on all defined PVC's with
counters enabled:
iso.org.dod.internet.private.enterprises.redBackNetworks.rbnExperiment.rbnXA
al5clStatMIB.
rbnXAal5VclStatMIBObjects.rbnXAtmAal5VclStatTable.rbnXAtmAal5VVclStatEntry.
  rbnXAtmAal5VclInOctets
.3.6.1.4.1.2352.3.1.1.1.1.3

Full OID for querying (snmpwalk) Out Octets on all defined PVC's with
counters enabled:
iso.org.dod.internet.private.enterprises.redBackNetworks.rbnExperiment.rbnXA
al5clStatMIB.rbnXAal5VclStatMIBObjects.rbnXAtmAal5VclSta
tTable.rbnXAtmAal5VVclStatEntry.rbnXAtmAal5VclOutOctets
.1.3.6.1.4.1.2352.3.1.1.1.1.4

To obtain the specific stats for a particular PVC, the ifIndex for the AAL5
Layer on the Port
that the PVC is configured on, and the VPI/VCI needs to appended to the
OID's defined above.
For example if the SMS Configurations is as follows.

  snmp server
  snmp view InternetView internet included
  snmp community publocal view InternetView context local
atm profile ubr
  counters
  shaping ubr
port ethernet 0/0
  shutdown
port atm 3/0
  atm pvc 0 32 profile ubr encapsulation ppp over-ethernet
   bind authentication chap
port atm 3/1
  atm pvc 3 32 profile ubr encapsulation ppp over-ethernet
   bind authentication chap
  snmp server
  snmp view InternetView internet included
  snmp community public view InternetView context local

To query for the total packets received on atm pvc 3 32 on port 3/1 the OID
that needs to be
used is:
1.3.6.1.4.1.2352.3.1.1.1.1.1.(ifIndex of AAL5 Layer for Port 3/1).3.32

After determining the ifIndex for the AAL5 Layer on Port 3/1 (which is 7)
the total packets
received can be obtained as follows.
$ snmpget sms1 public .1.3.6.1.4.1.2352.3.1.1.1.1.1.7.3.32
enterprises.2352.3.1.1.1.1.1.7.3.32 = Counter: 0