[mrtg] Re: apc ups?

Stieers, Ken KStieers at dainrauscher.com
Tue Dec 14 13:37:54 MET 1999

Ok, using the file posted at
http://www.ee.ethz.ch/~slist/pantomime/powernet.mib.txt

1.  Read through the file and find a value that you want to watch.  I'll use
upsAdvOutputCurrent that is defined as follows:

upsAdvOutputCurrent OBJECT-TYPE
   SYNTAX Gauge
   ACCESS read-only
   STATUS mandatory
   DESCRIPTION
      "The current in ampres drawn by the load on the UPS."
   ::= { upsAdvOutput 4 }

This means that its OID is upsAdvOutput.4   So now I go back up the file and
finde upsAdvOutput, which is defined as:

upsAdvOutput                   OBJECT IDENTIFIER ::=  { upsOutput 2 }

So the OID is now upsOutput.2.4   Now I go find upsOutput:

upsOutput                      OBJECT IDENTIFIER ::=  { ups 4 }

My OID now = ups.4.2.4

UPS is defined as:
ups                            OBJECT IDENTIFIER ::=  { hardware 1 }

My OID is now hardware.1.4.2.4

The rest of the relavent IDs are defined as:
apc                            OBJECT IDENTIFIER ::=  { enterprises 318 }

products                       OBJECT IDENTIFIER ::=  { apc 1 }
apcmgmt                        OBJECT IDENTIFIER ::=  { apc 2 }

hardware                       OBJECT IDENTIFIER ::=  { products 1 }

So the OID to this point is enterprises.318.1.1.1.4.2.4

Enterprises is defined in a different mib file (RFC1155) as 1.3.6.1.4.1 so
the complete OID is 1.3.6.1.4.1.318.1.1.1.4.2.4

HTH,

Ken

Ken Stieers
Lan Administrator