[mrtg] Re: What are MIB Files

Stieers, Ken KStieers at dainrauscher.com
Thu Dec 16 19:18:01 MET 1999

Mib files are the data definition or schema for a specific SNMP agent or
portion there of.  They describe how the data tracked by an agent is
organized, its type (int, real, string, etc), etc.  The help us humans by
mapping names that we like (like ifInOctets) to numbers (otherwise known as
OIDs like 1.3.6.1.2.1.2.2.1.10

If you read through one (in a text editor) you'll see stuff like this:

          ifInOctets OBJECT-TYPE
              SYNTAX  Counter
              ACCESS  read-only
              STATUS  mandatory
              DESCRIPTION
                      "The total number of octets received on the
                      interface, including framing characters."
              ::= { ifEntry 10 }

which tells us that the ifInOctets variable is a counter (32bit integer),
you can't write to it, and that its a subentry of ifEntry (ie. its OID is
ifEntry.10, to get the rest go find ifEntry, and its parent, and its parent,
etc).

Some time in the last week, there has been message posted on how to read a
mib, check the archives.

HTH,

Ken

Ken Stieers