[mrtg] MRTG not drawing and showing data

Manohar Pradhan manohar at enet.com.np
Fri Dec 24 12:29:50 MET 1999

Hello Everybody,

I am completely new in MRTG. I have just downloaded and compiled the MRTG
2.8.9.
But when i run mrtg, I get the following Error messages

#./mrtg mrtg.cfg

.//rateup: error in loading shared libraries
/usr/lib/libpng.so.2: undefined symbol: crc32

PROBLEM: rateup died from Signal 0
with Exit Value 127 when doing router 'lokharke'
code was 32512, retcode was . If this happens all the time,
you should probably investigate the cause. :-)

And the HTML files it created doesn't contain any pictures and also it
doesn't give any numerical values too. Here are my system's detail:

1. I have Red Hat Linux 5.2 running in my machine and have a CISCO 2511
with SNMP enabled.
2. My mrtg.cfg files contain only one set of minimal commands for my
router( derived and changed from config.html in the distribution)
3. zlib-1.1.3-2 is installed (while intalling linux) as RPM.
4. libpng-1.0.1-5 is installed (while intalling linux) as RPM.
5. PERL 5.004_04 came with linux
6. I have downloaded gd-1.7.3.tar.gz and compiled/installed as mentioned in
the mrtg documentation.
7. when tested while compiling (make test) with above packages, test went OK.
8. And I compiled and installed mrtg....as instructed in MRTG webpage..

I cannot understand where i have missed. Can anybody give me some hints.
Besides is there any bnary distribution of mrtg and libpng/zlib (may be in
RPMs), made for Linux?

Any help is highly appreciated.

Regards and thanks
Manohar