[mrtg] Re: organizing *.cfg files

Henry Steinhauer H1STEINH at hewitt.com
Tue Dec 28 16:29:36 MET 1999

?  What are the implications of putting each interface configuration into a
separate *.cfg file, as opposed to having one *.cfg file with multiple
interfaces described therein?

Well - It depends. -   What are you trying to do with the process ?

The biggest reasons I found for splitting CFG files are:

1 - Time to do an update -  By splitting I can do them in parallel  (But I
want to avoid one cfg per interface - perhaps 20 in one but not 100)
2 - Management of the cfg files -  Frame relay in one and the non-frame
relay in another.  Frame Relay tend to change CIR and I need to touch them.
3 -  One per Router even if the routers are all in the same campus
location.  Keeps updating simpler.

Henry

What are the implications of putting each interface configuration into a
separate *.cfg file, as opposed to having one *.cfg file with multiple
interfaces described therein?
Greg S.