[mrtg] Re: running under other id's for CRONTAB

Bill Nash billn at globalcenter.net
Thu Dec 30 18:21:28 MET 1999

On Thu, 30 Dec 1999 as108 at daimlerchrysler.com wrote:

> Anybody know anything about this??????
>
> Subject:  running under other id's for CRONTAB
> Once I've got two instances of MRTG running on one box, it can start to
> take a toll on the CPU.  Instead of creating another instance of MRTG
> (copying the whole app to a different directory and running it there), can
> I somehow run the program under another id besides root?  and how do I
> specify that in the crontab file?

	I know that if your box begins to generate a load under two runs
of mrtg as the same user, they're simply going to generate the same load
running as different users. You're still running the same amount of
processes, doing the same amount of work, you're just, for lack of a
better phrase, painting them different colors.

 Bill Nash (BN561)	  | A lot of biologists are nerdy geeks who,
 GlobalCenter - Phoenix   | but for a twist of fate, would have been
 NSM - Engineering        | engineers - Ron Fearing