[mrtg] Re: Ascend Pipeline & inOctets

Silvio L. Nisgoski silvio at softone.com.br
Wed Jul 7 14:10:46 MEST 1999

	Yes, but this damned thing doesn't return values for neither of the
ports. I have a user linked 24/7 in a port of the Ascend, so changing
WANs should not be a problem.
	What I need to know is how many bytes got in, and how many got
out. Telnetting to the box gives me this number, but snmpwalk says
the SNMP variable ( inOctets ) equals 0.
	If I had some numbers for the WAN ports, I would add up them
but I don't have any.
	By the way, they are Pipelines 130.
	Is there anyone out there monitoring such kind of crap ?

			Silvio
			(dreaming with good old Cisco days... )

Jeff Liebermann wrote:

> >       Does anyone has the OIDs for the inOctects and OutOctets for
> > monitoring traffic in an Ascend Pipeline ?
> >       I could not get some good results with GetIf ( I am using
> > Windows NT ). By telnetting to the Ascend, I can see the values. But
> > snmpwalk returns the variables with a 0 value.
>
> Ascend has a very unique and stupid implimentation of SNMP
> that drives me nuts.  The two big problems are:
> 1.  Disappearing OID's when the router goes offline.
> Compare the results of:
>         snmpwalk ascend_router_IP public iso
> when the router is up or down.  Some OID's just disappear
> when it's down.
> 2.  Random selection of "ports" per connection with no
> apparent or obvious rhyme or reason.
>
> The best you can do is monitor the *TOTAL* traffic in and out.
> Quoting from a previous identical question which could have been
> easily found in the mailing list archives:
>
> (...)
> I just add them all up, so it doesn't matter which two ports get used
> when the ISDN channels connect (the rest will be zero):
>
> Target[Pipeline50]: 2:;public at 1.2.3.4
>   + 3:;public at 1.2.3.4
>   + 4:;public at 1.2.3.4
>   + 5:;public at 1.2.3.4
>   + 6:;public at 1.2.3.4
>   + 7:;public at 1.2.3.4
>   + 8:;public at 1.2.3.4
>   + 9:;public at 1.2.3.4
>   + 10:;public at 1.2.3.4
>   + 11:;public at 1.2.3.4
>   + 12:;public at 1.2.3.4
>
>    NOTE: The spaces at the beginning of the continuation lines are
>         important!
>
> Other relevant setting which I use on our Pipeline 50s:
>
>  Options[Pipeline50]: growright,bits
>  Unscaled[Pipeline50]: wmy
>  WithPeak[Pipeline50]: wmy
>  YSize[Pipeline50]: 200
>  AbsMax[Pipeline50]: 2500000
>  MaxBytes[Pipeline50]: 16000
>
> Larry Leszczynski
> larryl at furph.com
>
> --
> # Jeff Liebermann  Liebermann Design  150 Felker St #D  Santa Cruz  CA  95060
> # 831.336.2558 voice  wb6ssy at ki6eh.#cca.ca.usa.noam  wb6ssy.ampr.org 44.4.18.10
> # 831.421.6491 digital_pager    73557,2074  cis [don't]
> # jeffl at comix.santa-cruz.ca.us  http://www.cruzio.com/~jeffl
>
> --

Silvio L. Nisgoski
silvio at softone.com.br